We are all guilty (well, I am, at least) of setting goals or making plans and failing at them. Often times it’s the failure to prepare a good road map. It’s equally important to have a strong commitment and to be willing to do anything it takes to continue working towards the goal, even in the face of perceived failure.
In this post, I’ll be sharing the top 10 steps for achieving any goal. It all starts in the planning phase. If you just haphazardly work towards a goal with no real plan in place, you certainly may get there, but it’s going to be a very rocky road the whole way there. Conversely, it’s definitely possible to be very successful with good planning, hard work and determination. You must stay focused on the goal and continually check in to evaluate your progress, especially when it’s a goal that will take a while to complete.
Top 10 Steps for Achieving Any Goal
- Write your goal down. Start with a very short concise title and then build on that.
- Create your plan – the main and most important steps you will need to take.
- Be very specific, especially for the earlier parts of the plan.
- Define a timeline for the steps. Use specific dates.
- Add these steps/milestones to your planner/calendar. Make sure they are somewhere you will actually see them.
- Every day, strive to do something to work towards the goal, no matter how small. If you’re a morning person, this will be pretty easy. If not, you will need to convince yourself it’s worth it. Either way, commit to holding yourself accountable and then set up your daily task reminder for every single morning.
- Complete your daily task every single day. If you’ missed yesterday’s task, then do two today.
- Journal your progress. There’s a lesson to be learned in nearly everything we do, and every problem we encounter. Write down your successes and your failures. Go back and analyze them from time to time and see whether you can apply anything you’ve learned in the past to your current situation.
- Keep on going no matter what. You may hit some roadblocks or snags, and will have to make modifications along the way, but try not to get discouraged.
- Don’t give up! You’ve got this! ?