I encountered a strange issue where I suddenly could not copy or paste in Windows or any of the Office applications (Excel, Access, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) while working remotely. It was quite frustrating as I was pressed for time and needed this critical function to keep working. I then had the idea to stop the utility for the clipboard, effectively restarting it, and that worked!
If your clipboard copy/paste is not working on your remote machine, to save you the same time and frustration, here is how I resolved the issue:
- Click on Start and type “Run”. Press Enter. (You can also press the Windows Key + R combination to open the Run window).
- In the Run window, type cmd and press enter or click OK.
- When the black command prompt window opens, type the following:
- taskkill /f /im rdpclip.exe
- Press enter.
- Close the command prompt (black) window.
By entering this command, you are forcing the shared clipboard to close and restart itself. Hopefully this helps you out!